Thursday, June 5, 2008

Responsibility

I'm just looking for the job with the least amount of responsibility possible.
Paraphrased from Lester Burnham (Kevin Spacey) in American Beauty.

Well, I'm not, actually, but after today, I sort of feel like I should. We have this client at work that I really, really like and he really, really got screwed by his former employer and I really, really am infuriated by this and I'm not positive we can help make this right and it's killing me. I mean, I'm doing everything I can to help him and I want desperately, with every fiber of my being, to work this out for him, but I'm just not sure we can win, even though I really think we should.

How am I supposed to handle knowing that this guy's ability to make a living, to put food on the table, and to help support his family is basically sitting in my hands (well, me and my boss, whose ass is really the one on the line, but is much more emotionally distanced from this case than I am)?

No comments: