Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Year-end Recap

Stolen shamelessly from R.


1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Scuba dove in a real ocean, not just a junior high pool.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My resolution last year was to stop swearing. That, uh, didn’t work very well. I will likely make the same one again this year and then actually try.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend Allie from law school. My friend AP is very pregnant (and a teensy bit annoyed by it, as she would like junior to vacate the premises ASAP) and I’m hoping she delivers soon.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
My uncle passed away in March.

5. What countries did you visit?
I did not technically leave the U.S., but the mister and I visited St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands, which was close enough to a foreign country.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
I would like to have more energy.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day a partner in my firm closed my office door and we had a come-to-jesus. My one-year wedding anniversary.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not losing my mind.

9. What was your biggest failure?

My career.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Well, I sort of threw my back out. I’ve developed a lovely case of insomnia. I had to get stitches due to a tragic accident with an uninstalled kitchen sink.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Well, I consider the several hundred bucks spent on plumbers to unclog my basement drain to be money well spent. The new fridge was a good purchase.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
The mister for being wonderful. My friends KVE and MJ for propping me up during my career crisis. My pal B for being as kind, funny, and generous as always.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

No one, really.

14. Where did most of your money go?
The mortgage. Student loan payments. Credit card bills.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Our trip to St. Croix.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
I have no idea. Mercy by Duffy, maybe.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?

(a) sadder. My work-related malaise has made me a Debbie Downer. I hope to address this in MANY WAYS during the new year.
(b) thinner. I was significantly thinner a few weeks ago, but the Christmas season and its accompanying cookies, peanut brittle, snack food, and gigantic meals, combined with my appalling lack of self-control, has put some of the weight back on.
(c) about the same.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Job-hunting. Playing with the dog. Hosting parties and get-togethers.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Complain. Cry. Whine.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve – my house, with many relatives. Christmas Day – my mom and dad’s in the a.m., mister’s aunt’s in the p.m. Day after - the mister’s parents’ farm.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
No. Unless you count my mad, torrid love affair with my new camera.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
I love Bones.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Not really. There are some people I like much less, but no one I hate.

24. What did you want and get?
A finished kitchen (mostly finished, anyway), really great shoes, a new camera.

25. What did you want and not get?

Violin lessons. A new job. A raise.


26. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I worked, had lunch with KVE, got in a spat with the mister, ate dinner at King and I Thai
. I turned 26.

27. Who did you miss?
My friend MJ. We used to see each other nearly every day, but jobs, houses, and life interfere with that now. Even though we email frequently, I don’t get to see her enough.
I miss the old me, too. But I’m working on getting her back.

1 comment:

MOLLY said...

I miss you too Buster! Thank goodness for e-mail.