Monday, March 16, 2009

Dogs


Tiny waterfall in a little creek formed by the runoff and melting snow.

Yesterday, like every other person in the state, I went outside to enjoy the balmy temperatures and sunshine. We're lucky enough to live just a couple of blocks from the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge. There are miles of trails crisscrossing the refuge. The mister mountain bikes them and I, when the treadmill and streets get to be a bit boring, jog them. It's a lovely area, if one can ignore the constant hum of interstate traffic and the looming sight of smokestacks.

I took a little walk in the river bottoms, stomping through freezing creeks in my wellies, chasing sunbeams, and grinning with the sheer enjoyment of being outside without worrying about frostbite.

Right up until I met Boomer.

Boomer was a dog of uncertain breed. He was large. His tail was skin over bone and felt like a whip when it collided with my legs. He had big paws covered in mud. And terrible puppy breath. And he was unleashed.

"Oh, don't mind him," his owner called merrily. "He's very friendly."

Yes, I noticed how friendly he is when he leaped up to plant his giant, muddy paws on my chest, knocking me to the ground, the better to slaver my face with wet dog kisses.

Listen, lady, I don't give a shit how "friendly" your dog is, if he's going to jump on me, send me to the muddy ground, and put his mouth, with all those sharp teeth, anywhere near my face, I'm going to be pissed that you're letting him run around leash free.

She and I had a little discussion about the differences between a friendly dog and a well-behaved dog. Until a dog knows not to jump up and knock people down, it should be on a leash. I'm certainly glad the dog didn't go for my throat, but when I was tipping backwards with him planted on my chest, I didn't really know what the dog's goal was and I was prepared to be bitten.

She's lucky I wasn't carrying my pepper spray, because I would have sprayed the shit out of the dog and then gotten the owner once in the eyes just for good measure.

Leash you pet, folks, unless it's obedient and well-trained.

2 comments:

MOLLY said...

Oh man - damn dogs. I hope you're ok!

Anonymous said...

I don't understand people who don't keep their dogs on leashes. Maybe if your dog is really well behaved and no one is around, but on a nice day like that when everyone is there? Ridiculous. I'm glad the dog didn't hurt you.