Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hi, I'm back

Hi. I’ve been gone for a while.

The mister and I took a week and went camping in the Badlands and Black Hills (pictures forthcoming). He had some extra PTO and I…well, I wanted to get out of town, so we went. Other than one incident where I threatened to push him off the very high hill he’d made me climb (a four mile VERTICAL hike) without (1) telling me that’s where we were going so I could plan and wear better shoes and shorts long enough to prevent EVIL WICKED CHAFING, and;(2) feeding me, we had a really nice time. It was ungodly hot in the Badlands, which is what led to our deciding the Black Hills were a better choice for camping. The presence of trees and running water helped make things tolerable.

We got back Friday and debated going up to Duluth for the air-show (not my idea, but I do love Duluth) but the forecasted severe weather and pouring rain made us decide against pitching a tent up north. Instead we lazed about, swam, biked, saw the new Batman movie and did not do a single thing with any redeemable value. Seriously. If we weren’t goofing off, we were crashed on the couch with delivery pizza, watching bad, bad TV. We even rented the second National Treasure movie, despite knowing it was total crap, because it featured Mount Rushmore and, hey, we’d just been there!

It was lovely.

He and I have both been so incredibly busy this summer that it was nice to have some “just the two of us” time where we weren’t thinking or worrying about work, dealing with home improvement nightmares, prying family members out of all sorts of interesting problems, or doing anything stressful.

And now we’re back.

And now I’m in a funk. It’s the typical vacation-is-over-I’m-so-sad funk, combined with a little of the same work-related malaise I was feeling before heading out of town. I’ll get over it. Particularly since the mister and I will be heading out of town at the end of September for some scuba diving in the Caribbean.

It’s good to have things to look forward to.

Side note:

To friend M.S., formerly known as “Little Shrub”: Happy belated one year anniversary.

No comments: