Saturday, July 12, 2008

Lesson of the Day

I’m knitting a pair of socks for the husband. I’ve knit socks for my mom, socks for some friends, socks for my father in law, never socks for the mister. In fact, the only things I’ve ever knit for him have been hats. (His little balding head gets chilly.) He’s got several hand knit hats from me, ranging from lightweight cotton to a double layered alpaca hat that would keep you warm in the arctic. But I figured it was time for socks. Particularly since he’s begun pointing out patterns he likes.

So, I got a skein of some of my favorite yarn in a manly mottled black with 450 yards in it. I cast on and began knitting the cuff of the first sock. I finished the cuff and started the leg. And then I saw it. At the top of the pattern (the part I should have read right away but didn’t). Required yardage: 550 yards.

Shit!

It’s too late to get more of the same yarn, so I think I’m going to have to pick up a complimenting color and knit the cuffs, heels and toes with it and hope that this will leave me enough of the main color to knit the body of the socks.

Lesson of the day: read the instructions. Apparently I missed this lesson in elementary school.

No comments: