Monday, October 6, 2008

Back to the Paperwork Mines

Vacation. It was nice. The Caribbean is warm. Scuba-diving is amazing, once you get past the freaky feeling of breathing under water and the tendency to hold your breath. We saw a shark, a sea turtle, a little baby sea horse, and lots of beautiful fish and coral.

We took a four-wheel drive jeep tour of the island. I got pretty scrambled in the back seat, but it was pretty fun. The jeep tour ended at some tide pools where we got to rock climb our way into the pools. It was beautiful.

I’m the worst vacationer ever in that I never take pictures. I’m either too busy or too lazy to dig out the camera. The mister took a couple though, so eventually I’ll get them off the camera and post them.

Our flights home were all screwed up and we ended up getting home far later than originally planned, and my poor younger brother ended up picking us up at the airport after his bedtime, but we brought him some cigars (not Cubans), so he was okay with it.

When we left Minnesota it was summer’s last gasp: warm, sunny, and green, but heading for fall. When we came home it was chilly, damp, and leaves had turned shades of crimson and gold. Officially fall.

And now I’m back and headed to work.

I had a full week of no digestive issues (other than my usual traveler’s issues, which were actually pretty mild). No unexplained nausea. No heartburn, despite copious amounts of spicy food and rum. No vomiting. Nothing. I slept hard at night and slept all night, from the moment we stretched out on the crummy hotel bed until the sun heated our room to unbearable temperatures in the morning. No anxiety-ridden dreams, no knots of tension in my belly, no insomnia, stress or worry.

And then Sunday, 12 hours before I had to go back to work, I found myself with an upset stomach and shaky hands. I only slept a couple of hours and woke up at 3 a.m., unable to get back to sleep.

Interesting, no?

No comments: