Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Recipe - Chocolate Frosting

I baked a cake and went to frost it when I realized my collection of tubs of frosting (all bought at the 10 for $10 sale) was gone.

Faced with a fully baked, yet naked cake, I did some googling and some improvising (we were out of milk) and came up with my own recipe for frosting. It’s very, very tasty.

Ingredients:
1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
2/3 c. cocoa powder
3 c. powdered sugar
1/3 to 1/2 c. cream liqueur (I used Cruzan Rum Cream, but Bailey’s or any other cream liqueur will work. Hell, even spiced rum or amaretto, if your kitchen and liquor cabinet are as sad as mine) – start with 1/3 cup and add more at the end if you need it.
1 tsp. vanilla

Instructions:
Melt butter. Add cocoa powder and mix. Add 1 c. powdered sugar and 1/3 of the cream liqueur. Mix. Add second cup of powdered sugar and another third of the cream liqueur. Mix. Add final cup of powdered sugar, vanilla, and last third of liqueur. Mix. Add more liqueur if necessary to get frosting to spreadable consistency.

Spread on top of chocolate cake or eat straight out of the bowl with a spoon. There’s no judgment here.